I thought I would gather what I found to be the best dressed celebs from both occasions. These are JUST my opinions, and I'm sure there were many other fabulously dressed people that I didn't see or couldn't get a picture of.
As you can imagine these are not my images as I was not at either award show, but I gathered them from the internet and hope that it is okay that I am using them.
The first award show was the MTV Video Music Awards (or VMAs) aka the scene of the scandal of the year last year featuring Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke.
The dress code for MTV is, well, casual! People dress up, too, but in general it's a more casual vibe.
|Riff Raff (rapper), Katy Perry (pop singer), Britney Spears (princess), Justin Timberlake (prince)|
|Ashley Rickards, Actor (Awkward.)|
|Mary Lambert, singer|
|Lucy Hale, actor (Pretty Little Liars)|
One of my favorite celebrities, Lucy Hale actually hosted the red carpet shenanigans, and looked great doing it! I love this two piece ensemble that is just as edgy as it is trendy.
|Nick Jonas (singer) and girlfriend Olivia Culpo|
As far as couples go, these two hit it out of the park. I love both of their outfits but Olivia looks timeless while Nick just says fun.
|Julianne Hough (dancer, actor)|
While the front of the dress is just okay, I was wowed by her hair and her makeup. She looks great! And when I saw the back of the dress it cemented her spot in my best dressed list.
A chain backing makes this edgy and fresh.
|Greer Grammer, actor (Awkward.)|
From the color to the dress itself to her beautiful waves, Greer nails it on the red carpet this year! I can't say anything except I love love love it!
|Uzo Aduba, actor (Orange is the New Black)|
Her outfit is classy but most of all her makeup is on point. Her red lips and sparkly eyes were what made me take a double take. I love it.
My opinions on the VMAs themselves:
- Nicki Minaj killed it, wardrobe malfunction and all.
- Wasn't very impressed by Taylor Swift's new song...
- I am not a big fan of Iggy Azalea but I really enjoyed her performance with Rita Ora because I really like that song.
- The Robin Williams "tribute" was honestly a disgrace (a handful of pictures randomly showed on the screen with no words, no introduction, no RIP , nothing, then cut away to commercial awkwardly),
- Common came out and said a word and had a moment of silence for Ferguson, MO and Michael Brown. It makes me tear up when celebrities use their position of power and influence for something good. Which leads me to...
- Miley Cyrus did just that this year and blew everyone's expectations out of the water. She sent up a homeless young man to accept her award and he gave a speech about the homeless youth problem in LA. It was really moving and touching that she used the spotlight on her to do some good- I hope that becomes a trend.
- Then of course Beyonce shut the whole thing down with an epic 16 minute long performance for the Vanguard award. It was amazing to see her stand on stage with FEMINIST on the screen behind her, and to hear the words of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and to know that many young eyes were on the queen at this moment, just made me feel a way I can't describe.
And then Monday night (which host Seth Meyers had plenty of jokes about) was the Primetime Emmys which celebrate "primetime" television. The Emmys have a more formal vibe and people dress up more for sure.
|Lucy Liu, actor|
Lucy looks quite classy and beautiful in this gauzy off-white number.
|Mayim Bialik, actor (the big bang theory...also, Blossom)|
Some people say Mayim was overpowered by the dress but I think she looks really lovely. I think she honestly looks perfect. She is apparently very religious and believes in dressing modestly and I think it's awesome that she can look this good while sticking to her beliefs.
|Claire Danes, actor|
Claire Danes is perfection in this outfit, lets be honest. I love everything about it. The sideswept hait, bold neckline, and belted dress all look great!
|Laverne Cox, actor (Orange is the New Black)|
Laverne looks like a freaking greek goddes alright?I don't know why but that's the vibe that I got from this ensemble and I'm not complainin'. Her make up is on point as well!
|Melissa Mccarthy, actor (Mike & Molly, Bridesmaids)|
Melissa is another plus size girl who is s-l-a-y-i-n-g it! That bodice is wonderful and she just looks amazing! I only wish I could have seen this in like a bright blue or purple. Black is obviously great but it looks almost morbid in this setting. I still think she killed it though, don't get me wrong!!
|Amy Poehler, queen|
Ahhh the queen. Amy looked outright spectacular. Although I'm not a huge fan of the dress, I still think she looks just utterly amazing. And, I love her more than I can say so I might be a little biased. but c'mon!
|Halle Berry, actor|
I love the dress that Halle has on. The color looks GREAT on her and I love the top. I think this is just an awkward picture of her bottom half but either way I'm not quite on board with the thigh high leg slit a ' la Angelina Jolie at the Oscars.
|Alexandra Daddario (actor, True Detective)|
Honestly I didn't know who this person was before this but I think she snuck up and nabbed Best Dressed. She just looks so classy, glamorous, and smoldering. I can't get enough!!
|Viola Davis, actor (The Help)|
Last but not least is this beautiful blue number on Viola Davis. This is DEFINITELY her color. I love the top of the dress and I love her bold red lips to bring it all together!
As for my thoughts on the award show:
- Seth Meyers was pretty funny
- There was a Billy On the Streets segment that was amazing, I love Billy Eichner.
- The questions from the audience joke was really funny
- I basically don't agree with any of the wins of the night but what do I know??
- Related: Amy Poehler got robbed!!! Definitely should have taken home best lead actress in a comedy
- The In Memoriam segment featured a song sung beautifully by Sara Bareilles and was very sad which lead into a small tribute to Robin Williams by Billy Crystal. I was tearing up for sure.
- a low moment included a sexist joke about Sofia Vergara....I am thankful to have missed this joke by being in the bathroom and I have no interest in finding out about it because it would probably make me angry.
Phew, what a long list, right?! I just couldn't narrow it down!
Were you guys watching the award shows? Who do you think was best and worst dressed? I'd love to hear it in the comments below.