Friday, September 6, 2013

Inner Beauty Friday: I'm going to gush about my favorite book

 Despite this being a beauty-oriented blog, I believe very much in "inner beauty" and believe it is necessary to work on this type of beauty above all else. Every Friday I share my journey through becoming more beautiful from the inside out!

Again I'm linking up to Jasmine at Green Eyed Monster who gave me the inspiration to start this weekly post!

I love to read. When starting up the Inner Beauty Friday theme, I planned to involve plenty of book reviews, as that is what Jasmine, who inspired me, does.

Unfortunately in the past few weeks I haven't had a lot of time to read. I did read one book, which I will review next Friday. But first, I wanted to talk about my favorite book. 

Looking for Alaska by John Green


LFA is a young adult novel. I guess I should mention that I mainly read young adult novels because for much of my life I aspired to write them. I still feel that aspiration in me and quite frankly, I still feel like a young adult. 

The Goodreads synopsis (which is the same that appears on the back of the book) is: Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.

I wanted to talk about a few reasons why I love this book without giving away any spoilers (which will be hard.)

First of all, I love the way it is written. In my opinion it really captures the thought process and attitude of a teenager. It doesn't sound like how an adult thinks a teenager sounds. The way it's written just really resonates with me.

Second of all, I have read this book a handful of times and I still cry every time.  Yes, there are sad parts. And if you're like me, you will cry. Even if you already know exactly what is coming. 

Third, I love the existential element present in most of the book such as "what is the meaning of life?" and thoughts that are explored through Miles's religious studies class, such as "is there an afterlife?" These parts of the book really got me thinking and the way they were written really explain things eloquently.

Finally, the reason I love the book most is Alaska herself. It's like she comes dangerously close to being a real-life Manic Pixie Dream Girl (if you don't know what a MPDG is, you can read more here), so she actively works to counteract that. Her whole purpose is to show that she is a human with flaws and layers and parts of her that are not lovely or make sense. Her whole mission is to make sure you see her as a person instead of an idea. And she's a bit of a feminist so of course, I love her.

Believe me, there is a lot more I could say about this book. I could spend all day talking about it. But I want to keep this short and sweet and I also don't want to spoil anything. 

All in all, I highly recommend everyone on earth read this book. I really do. Of course you knew I was going to say that, since its my FAVORITE book but ah, well. 

Have you ever read Looking for Alaska? Or any of John Green's books? If so, what did you think? If not, do you think you will? I encourage you to :) Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I have never read this book but I agree with you about inner beauty. People who have a bad attitude and treat others poorly are ugly.

    http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I believe you should always be working on yourself and how you treat others and the world. I highly recommend the book!

      Delete

I love reading & replying to comments so always check back here to see my reply!
I encourage you to leave a link to your blog so that I can check it out!

EmberDarling