Wednesday, September 25, 2013

YALLFest author spotlight: Ransom Riggs

 For those new to the series, I present the intro: 


YALLFest is one of the only book festivals focused entirely on Young Adults. It's held in Charleston, South Carolina and this year it starts November 9th. The best part is, it's mostly free! The only thing that cost money are the ticketed events- the keynote conversation and the closing YA smackdown. All signings are free!
I really wanted to go this year! This year's lineup includes 50 young adult authors, including 25 New York Times Bestsellers. That's a pretty impressive lineup! Unfortunately, I don't have the money to go this year, but am definitely planning on going in the near future. If you love to read, live in the South Carolina area (I live in Florida and would DEFINITELY make the drive!)  I absolutely recommend going to this. 
Since I am so sad about missing it this year, I am so excited that I am able to get involved in other ways! I was given the opportunity to host interviews with some of this year's YALLFest authors!
Don't forget for more YALLFest info you can head to their Facebook or website. You can also get updates with their twitter @Yallfest

Today's interview is with New York Times' Bestseller Ransom Riggs. He is best known for his book, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. This book is also on my must-read list, I've heard lots of good things about it! Just another reason my heart is breaking over missing YALLFest this year!!


What one thing do you need to have when you write?
Silence. My noise-cancelling headphones have become almost essential.

What is the hardest line to write- the first or the last?
The first. I rewrite and rewrite it a million times. The last comes easy.

Tell us 5 random facts about yourself.
I’m six foot four. I lived on a working farm until I was five. I used to know how to cook Indian food but now I’ve forgotten. I love documentaries. One day I will conquer the moon.

What are you working on now?
A novel for Little, Brown the plot of which is SECRET! (Sort of, for now. But I’m really excited about it.)

What is your favorite genre to write in? To Read?
Oh, definitely YA to write in. I read everything, lots of YA, lots of adult, nonfiction of all sorts. I even read poetry when I’m feeling ambitious. I think it’s crucial to have lots of different influences. If you only read in the genre you write in, your writing will sound like everything else that’s already out there.


Have you read anything by Ransom Riggs? Are you planning on going to Yallfest? Can I sneak in your suitcase if you are? :)

To get caught up on the other authors in this series, check them out~
Cinda Williams Chima can be found here
Lauren Oliver can be found here
CJ Lyons can be found here
Sean Williams can be found here:
Rainbow Rowell can be found here

Follow your bliss,
Ember Darling

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading & replying to comments so always check back here to see my reply!
I encourage you to leave a link to your blog so that I can check it out!

EmberDarling