Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Independence day nails!

So as you may have already seen I recently posted a quick post of what nails I did for Independence day, but now I'm ready to go more in depth with my look and tell you how you can achieve a similar one!

First off, I love holidays. I love...themes. and partying. and holidays provide a lot of that! Unfortunately this year I had a very uneventful holiday. But that didn't stop me from rocking some awesome nail art!
I had seen lots of inspiration on other blogs and on pinterest all week. But I couldn't decide what I wanted to do myself! I finally decided that there was no way I could choose one of the manicures, so instead I decided to take elements of several different ones and make it my own!

I apologize in advance that some of these are smart-phone quality photos. But I still think they get the point across!
4th of july themed nails
4th of July nails!
Instructions after the jump-->


So, here are the polishes I used to achieve this look.

red, white, and blue nail polish
red, white, blue, and sparkles!
 From L to R we have- Salon Perfect- Fire & Ice, Wet n Wild Shine french white creme, China Glaze- frost bite, Maybelline Color Show Sapphire Siren, Sinful Colors Nail Art- what a night, seche vite fast dry top coat, China glaze ruby pumps, and slightly out of the picture is Sinful Colors ruby ruby

base coats of blue and white nail polish
first step- base coats

 I applied french white creme  to my thumb, ring, and pinky nails. I have the sapphire siren on my pointer finger, and frostbite on my middle finger. I know, it's messy. Now you can see my true process, mess and all.


salon perfect dotting tool
salon perfect dotting tool

For my thumb I was inspired by this post by Vampy Varnish. I had just gotten a new dotting tool from Salon Perfect and was eager to try it out.  I dotted with ruby ruby and frostbite.

red and blue dots over white polish
red and blue dots
Not too bad for my first attempt! Of course, a dotting tool is a ridiculously easy tool to use, and I highly encourage you to try one! Or you can make one at home by using a bobby pin, or a paper clip, or even a needle. I have seen lots of DIY dotting tools, but the one I bought was so cheap, I just got it. 

Konad stamping plate BM14
BM14 stamping plate
For the stars I used a konad stamping kit. This kit belongs to a friend and I don't actually know if all the plates are Konad brand, but the scraper and stamper are! This plate is labeled BM14. As you can see, this is just a string of stars. There were no all-over star patterns. So I had to (carefully-it was a challenge!) stamp it numerous times to get the effect that I was going for- the flag, duh! 

striping tape over white nails
striping tape 
Last but not least, I used striping tape for the first time! The first time I tried it, the white base hadn't yet dried, and had lifted up when I pulled the tape up. So the second time I made sure it was completely dry before doing it. I laid down the stripes and painted ruby pumps over it. Again, I was clearly messy. I did this for both my ring and pinky fingers.

For my pointer finger I wanted to try and do a firework design. I thought, this should be easy. Fireworks are pretty abstract. You just paint some lines shooting in opposite directions. Easy enough, right? I was wrong. I used the other side of the Salon Perfect dotting tool which has a very small nail art brush on it. Even with that, it didn't exactly turn out as planned. All in all I wasn't pleased, but I was satisfied enough with it that I left it alone. I used the sapphire siren to imitate the dark nights sky, then painted fireworks over it with what a night nail art polish and another glitter that I honestly don't remember because it turned out so horribly that I jumped ship immediately. 

4th of july nails
grand finale!
So here's a pic pre-cleanup to once again show all the nails together!

I hope you liked this manicure, and I hope it inspired you in some way. Did you all (people in the US at least!) have a good independence day? I hope you got to see fireworks! Did you do any july-4th-themed-nails?

Follow your bliss,
Ember Darling

4 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Love the colours they used and you can definitely tell it's for independence day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely nails, so cute! Hehe :D I found your blog on the when life gives you links blog hop & now following on bloglovin' :D x

    Beaumaquillagex | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Awesome!! I'll follow you right now :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete

I love reading & replying to comments so always check back here to see my reply!
I encourage you to leave a link to your blog so that I can check it out!

EmberDarling