Friday, July 19, 2013

Inner Beauty Friday

Hey ya'll! Welcome to the 2nd installment of Inner Beauty Friday

Despite this being a beauty-oriented blog, I believe very much in "inner beauty" and believe it is necessary to work on this type of beauty above all else. Every Friday I share my journey through becoming more beautiful from the inside out!

Again I'm linking up to Jasmine at Green Eyed Monster who gave me the inspiration to start this weekly post!

 Well, I can't just leave you all hanging! I received an overwhelming amount of support from my amazing followers last week when I announced that I had applied to college.

Because of that, I'm a little disappointed in how everything went down. In my opinion, the education system is not built for the middle (or below) class. Every rule, every protocol, is backwards. Nothing makes sense. It's easy to give up, which is what I have done every semester.

I really, really don't want to give up this time. But it's so hard not to! I went to my school on Wednesday to speak with an adviser and financial aid assistant. I was basically told I would have to jump through hoops, then get TWO loans, and then I might be able to attend school in August.
That's right, I am going to stress myself out for the next few weeks without a guarantee that I will even be enrolled come fall semester.

The details have to do with financial aid once again thinking I'm some sort of rich person (HA! As if I would have a budget oriented beauty blog, am I right?), having to take a group orientation (that wasn't a requirement last time), and not being able to register until the LAST day. Meaning, there is a huge chance there won't be any classes left.

On top of all this, I do not qualify for any grants through FAFSA. I would have to take two loans through FAFSA just to attend ONE year of community college. And that does not leave money left over for a car. Which I would need to get to school. Do you see where this is going? It just doesn't seem entirely worth it to me.

Overall I can't be sure that I am going to start. I have until Aug 2 which is when orientation is. 

I must again stress that I am so thankful for the support I got on my last post. I really hope that everything works out, but I'm trying not to stress out yet seeing as there's nothing I can do until the 2nd.  So after the 2nd I will have another update!
Jenni Fagan the panopticon
Jenni Fagan- the panopticon

Today in the mail I recieved The Panopticon by Jenni Fagan. I received an advanced readers copy through Read it Forward, a website that has a giveaway every week of books! I have been entering for months and my luck finally struck, I won! 
advanced reader's edition
advanced reader's edition!

I look forward to reading this and providing a review on it for next week's edition of Inner Beauty Friday!

Follow your bliss,
Ember Darling

p.s. I got my Ipsy July bag!! Review will be posted tonight or tomorrow :) spoiler alert: I love it!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the book win!
    I had the same loan situation back in the day - I took 2 loans (and I didn't have a car I took public transportation). Most Community colleges usually have some resources for Scholarships - I would check it out. I don't know anyone who ever got any grants. You have to decide how important working hard and scrimping by now is for your future. Sometimes getting a job (if possible) in the field you want to be in and working is the way to go and sometimes that's not an option. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!
      Well to get a little more ~personal...there is no public transportation where I live unfortunately. I mean, there is, but it doesn't come near where I live. And I have tried scholarships and never got awarded any although I will for sure be trying next semester again (it is too late for this semester). a LOT of people that I know got grants through FAFSA. And I do have a job right now but it's not in the field I want to be in (frankly I'm still undeclared so I'm unsure of what that field IS) but I definitely don't make enough to pay for my schooling haha :/

      Delete

I love reading & replying to comments so always check back here to see my reply!
I encourage you to leave a link to your blog so that I can check it out!

EmberDarling